Building Engineering were commissioned in October 2016 to construct this project and began on site in late November 2016. Practical completion was achieved in April 2018.The scope of works, although built in one stage, included two completely different work zones. Zone one included the complete restoration of an existing heritage listed 1910 fire station. The repurposed two level building now houses Swinburne’s Innovation Precinct, a central hub on campus with collaborative spaces for entrepreneurial activity. The old fire truck garages now house an IP clinic, prototyping spaces and Design Factory Melbourne studio. Level two houses refurbished administration, staff office and meeting rooms.Zone two included a new, five level concrete frame extension at the rear of the Fire Station. Facilities include a central innovation class room, large kitchen, co-working areas, 10 incubator meeting rooms and open plan event space. Special features include a timber clad green wall in the rear stairwell, skylights and Swinburne red cladding.