Building Engineering was awarded this project in August 2018 by Capitol House Owners Corporation representative Fitzroys.
The project scope included the renovation of the Capitol Arcade, located on the ground floor of the heritage listed Capitol House building, as well as restoration of the façade on Swanston Street including atrium, foyer and canopy. Completing the works required detailed planning, with multiple tenants as well as residential occupants needing continuous access.
The majority of the works were completed outside of normal trading hours, using an existing vacant tenancy as both a site office and storage area. This approach significantly reduced the impact on traders and residents and eliminated the need for multiple staging.
Refurbishment of the Capitol Arcade was driven in part by RMIT University committing to a major restoration of the art deco Capitol Theatre, originally designed by Walter Burley Griffin and Marion Mahony Griffin and completed in 1924.